Dr. Man Li, PhD, HCLD (ABB)
Dr. Man Li is the IVF Lab director, WC Reproductive TLC Laboratory with the Tree of Life Center in Tarzana, California. Dr. Li brings years of experience in the IVF laboratory. She underwent both the medical doctor training as an obstetrician and gynecologist and then did her training as a clinical embryologist. Her research has been focused on single cell preimplantation genetic testing for many years.
When it comes to the embryology laboratory, Tree of Life Center offers state-of-the ART services with top line laboratory scientists and technology. Rest assured that your embryos will be taken care by some of the California's most experienced embryologists. The laboratory is the heart of the fertility clinic and the base for the success of the in-vitro fertilization process.
Prior Professional experience:
- 2019 - 2020 Laboratory Director at the West Coast Fertility Center, Fountain Valley, California
- 2017 - 2019 Laboratory Director at the Western Fertility Institute, Encino, California
- 2006 - 2016 Laboratory Director at the Fertility and Surgical Associates of California, Thousand Oaks, California
- 2003 - 2006 Director, Pre-implantation Genetics Diagnosis and Research, Southern Ca Reproductive Center, Beverly Hillsa, California
- 2002 - 2003 Senior Embryologist and PGD laboratory Scientist, Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine, Jacksonsville, Florida
- 1999 - 2002 Embryologist and PGD-Fish Scientist, IVF & Gamete Genetics Laboratory, Gotenborg University, Sweden
- Post-Doctoral Studies at University of Florida in Gainsville, Florida 1999-2002
- PhD at Reproductive Medicine and Research Center in Sun Yat-sen Medical University in Guangzhou, China 1994-1998
- OB/Gyn Residency at Tongji Medical University in Wuhan, China 1990-1994
- Tongji Medical University, Wuhan, China, 1985-1990
- High Complexity Clinical Laboratory Director (HCLD) in the disciplines of Embryology (ELD), Andrology and Molecular Diagnostics, Certified by American Board of Bioanalysis (ABB) Certificate number 3488, December 2000.
- Certified Laboratory Specialist in Molecular Biology (CLSMB), National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA, changed to ASCP),since August 2005
- California Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist (CGMBS), California State License # MTP00000365, since July 2012
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Member 2001 - present
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society (PCRS), Member 2003 - present
- Chinese Medical Society of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 1990 - present
- M. Li, A Kumar. TESTICULAR SPERM CORRELATES WITH A SIMILAR RATE OF
EUPLOID EMBRYO DEVELOPMENT COMPARED TO CYCLES USING EJACULATED
SPERM .. Fertility and Sterility, ASRM 2016 presentation.
- M. Li, A. Kumar, M. Shamonki, G. Hubert. Implantation rates following transfer of
vitrified euploid blastocysts are independent of maternal age. Fertility and Sterility,
Vol. 104, Issue 3, e33~340. September 2015.
- Man Li MD PhD, Yufen Xie MD PhD, Hyang Park MS, Sanaz Azadbadi MS, Ashim
Kumar MD, Gary Hubert MD, Richard Buyalos MD. Microarray Preimplantation Genetic
Screen significantly improves clinical outcomes in patients received vitrified-thawed
embryos transfer. ASRM 2014 oral presentation.
- Yufen Xie MD PhD,Man Li MD PhD,Hyang Park MS, Sanaz Azadbadi MS, Ashim Kumar
MD, Gary Hubert MD, Richard Buyalos MD. The Relationship Between Blastocyst
Grading, Timing of Blastocyst Formation, Maternal Age and Chromosomal Abnormality.
Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 102, Issue 3, e174. September 2014.
- Richard Buyalos, Lian Liu, Ashim Kumar, Felicia Wetherby, Raul Leony, Man Li.
Blastocysts Re-analysis after Cleavage Stage Biopsy with 24 Chromosome Array
Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH). How Reliable Is the PGS Report? Fertility
and Sterility, Vol. 99, Issue 3, S29-S30. March 01, 2013.
- Richard Buyalos, Lian Liu, Ashim Kumar, Felicia Wetherby, Raul Leony, Man Li. Is
Morula Biopsy an Effective Option for PGS? Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 99, Issue 3, S30.
March 01, 2013.
- F. Weatherby, S. Keyhan, A. Kumar, G. Hubert, R. Buyalos, M. Li. Oocyte bank set up by
comparing different vitrification devices. Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 100, Issue 3, S174.
- M. Li, Y. Xie, H. Park, A. Kumar, G. Hubert, R. Buyalos. Frozen-thawed embryo transfer
improves clinical 01,.1tcomes in patients receiving IVF treatment. Fertility and Sterility, Vol.
100, Issue 3, S177. September, 2013.
- M. Li, Y. Xie, H. Park, A. Kumar, G. Hubert, R. Buyalos. The effects of elevated serum
progesterone level at the day of hCG injection on clinical outcome in IVF-ET patients.
Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 100, Issue 3, S7. September, 2013.
- R. Buyalos, M. Li, F. Miller, M. Zhang, A. Kumar, G. Hubert. Effective blastocyst
cryopreservation markedly incre.ases cumulative pregnancy rates per ova retrieval in
donor ova and non-donor cycles independent of patient age. Fertility and Sterility, Vol.
92, Issue 3, S157. September 2009.
- R. Buyalos, M. Li, A. Kumar, G. Hubert, F. Miller. Does Advancing Maternal Age
Ameliorate the Advantage of Blastocyst Transfer? The Implantation Rate of Blastocyst
Compared to Cleavage Stage Embryo Transfer as a Function of Patient Age. Fertility
and Sterility, Vol. 95, Issue 4, S13-S14. March 15, 2011.
- Man Li, MD, PhD. Dual Differential Stain Protocol: Blastocyst Cell Discrimination and
Number Determination. The Clinical Embryologist, 2006, Issue 2, Volume 9, P34-35.
- Tian Chiu, Man Li, Catherine Marin De Ugarte, David Hill. Surrogate live birth of a normal
baby for a patient with Marfan syndrome. Poster Presentation, PCRS 2005.
- DL Hill, N Buehler, Z Jiang, M Surrey, H Danzer and Man Li. In Vitro Fertilization -
Embryo Transfer Combined with Aneuploidy Screening of Day Three Embryos Lowers the
Miscarriage Rate in Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Patients of Advanced Maternal Age.
Poster Presentation, PCRS 2005.
- Man Li, Catherine Marin DeUgarte, Mark Surrey, Hal Danzer, Alan DeChemey and David
L. Hill. Fluorescence in situ hybridization reanalysis of day-6 human blastocysts diagnosed
with aneuploidy on day 3. Fertility Sterility 2005; 11 :1395-1400.
- Man Li MD PhD, Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Hal Danzer MD, Mark Surrey MD, and
David Hill PhD. Determination of Mosaicism in early human embryos by confirmation
FISH. Poster Presentation, PCRS 2005.
- Man Li MD PhD, Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Hal Danzer MD, Mark Surrey MD, Alan
DeCherney MD and David Hill PhD. Rescue ICSI and PGD: the combination can result in
pregnancy. Poster Presentation, PCRS & ASRM 2005.
- Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Gayane Ambartsumyan MD, Man Li MD PhD, David Hill
PhD and Alan DeChemey MD. Successful selection of normal embryos using PGD in a
woman with Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 3. Poster Presentation, PCRS 2005.
- David Hill PhD, Man Li MD PhD, Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Hal Danzer MD, Mark
Surrey MD, and Alan DeCherney MD. Day 3 morphology as a predictor of aneuploidy.
Poster Presentation, PCRS & ASRM 2005.
- Susan Sarajari MD, Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Man Li MD PhD, Alan DeCherney MD
and David Hill PhD. Aneuploidy in Day 3 embryos where in pronuclei (PN) were not
observed following routine insemination or lntracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). Poster
Presentation, ASRM 2005.
- David Hill PhD, Man Li MD PhD, Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Susan Sarajari MD,
Nicole Buehler, Mark Surrey MD, Hal Danzer MD and Alan DeCherney MD. The
relationship between cleavage rate and morphology to aneuploidy in day three human
embryos. Poster Presentation, ASRM 2005.
- Man Li, David Hill. FISH reanalysis on day 6 human blastocysts diagnosed with
aneuploidy on day 3: does day 3 single cell biopsy accurately represent the numerical
chromosomal status of the embryo? ESH RE 2004, oral presentation.
- Man Li, David Hill. Embryo biopsy medium may hold the key to successful outcomes
following pre-implantation genetic diagnosis. ESHRE 2004, poster presentation
- Man Li MD PhD, Catherine Marin DeUgarte MD, Zharong Jiang MD, Hal Danzer MD,
Mark Surrey MD, and David Hill PhD. Towards a single blastocyst transfer: PGD in
combination with morphology selection could be the ultimate tool. ASRM 2004 Poster
- Man Li, MD, PhD, Catherine Marin De Ugarte, MD, Hal Danzer.MD, Mark Surrey MD,
Alan DeCherney MD and David Hill, PhD. Comparison of Computer Assisted Infrared
Laser with acid Tyrode solution in zona drilling for embryo biopsy. ASRM 2004 Poster
- Man Li, Ashim Kumar, Catherine Marin DeUgarte, Mark Surrey, Hal Danzer, Alan
DeCherney, David L. Hill. Does "EmbryoGlue®" help embryos in their implantation?
ASRM 2004 Poster presentation.
- Catherine Marin De Ugarte MD, Man Li MD PhD, Alan DeCherney MD, Hal Danzer MD,
Mark Surrey MD, David Hill PhD. Accuracy of FISH in predicting chromosomal status in
PGD patients. ASRM 2004 Poster presentation.
- Catherine Marin De Ugarte MD, Man Li MD PhD, Alan DeCherney MD, Mark Surrey MD,
Hal Danzer MD, David Hill PhD; Do patients who undergo Preimplantation Genetic
Diagnosis have higher pregnancy rates and should fewer embryos be transferred? ASRM
2004 poster presentation.
- Jaime Drinville MD, Catherine Marin De Ugarte MD, Man Li MD PhD, David Hill PhD,
Mark Surrey MD and Alan DeCherney MD. Are families with 3 children of the same sex
more likely to have the next child of the same sex? ASRM 2004 poster presentation.
- Man Li, David Hill. Pregnancies by PGD for translocation carriers using single interphase
cell FISH with chromosome-specific breakpoint spanning probes. PCRS 2004, poster
- David Hill and Man Li. What Regulations for Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis? Journal
of Assisted Reproductive Genetics, January 2004, Vol21, No. 1, P11-13
- Kipersztok S, Man L, Drury KC, Williams RS, Rhoton-Vlasak AS. Use of lntracytoplasmic
Sperm lnjectiopn (ICSI) in In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Cycles with Failed or Poor
Fertilization. Reproductive Technologies. 2001, volume10, number 6;311-313.
- Li M, Drury KC, Williams RS. Suitability of Mouse Embryos for Human IVF QC: Zygotes
vs. 2-cell Embryos. Fertility and Sterility 2001, 76 (3S1): S230
- Li M, Drury KC, Kipersztok S, Rhoton-Vlasak AS, Williams RS. Efficiency of 12-
chromosome aneuploidy diagnosis (2,7,8,13,14,15,16,18,21,22, Y and Y) by three round
FISH test. Fertility and Sterility 2002, 78, suppl1: s183.
- Xu YW, Zhuang GL, Shu YM, Li M, Zhou CQ, Zhang MF. Preimplantation Gender
diagnosis by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Chinese Medical Journal 2002; 115 (6):
- Li Man, Zhuang GL, et al. Using testicular sperm to provide fertility for azoospermia men.
National medical journal of China, 2000,80 (8): 588-590.
- Li Man, Zhuang GL, et al. Using ejaculated, epididymal or testicular spermatoza to
provide fertility for infertile men. Journal of Chinese surgery, 2000,38(4): 280-282.
- Li Man, Zhuang GL. Development potential of human embryos after blastomere biopsy.
Journal of reproductive medicine (Chinese), 1999,8(2): 107-109.
- Li Man, Zhuang GL, et al. Pregnancy after intracytoplasmic sperm injection using
immotile, stump ejaculated and testicular spermatozoa. Journal of reproductive medicine
(Chinese}, 2000,9 (3) 178-179.
- Li Man, Zhuang GL, et al. Frozen-thawed epididymal sperm intracytoplasmic sperm
injection to treat infertility caused by obstructive azoospermia. Journal of Chinese
urology, 1999,20 (6): 350.
- Li XH, Li M, Zhuang GL, et al. Sex determination of pre-implantation embryos by nest
PCR. Academic Journal of Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences. 1998,19 (1): 11-
- Li Man, Zhuang GL, et al. Cryopreservation noctoral emission and intracytoplasmic
sperm injection to provide fertility for anejaculation men. Journal of reproductive medicine
- Li Man, Zhuang GL, et al. The relationship of serum P level on the day of hCG injection
and pregnancy in in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer. Chinese Journal of practical
Gynecology and Obstetrics. 1997,13 (3): 147-148.